When Touch FM asked us to share our knowledge of Twitter we jumped at the chance.
After recent support for the Warwick Portas Pilot campaign we were only too pleased to as well.
On a sunny evening in Warwickshire I winged my way over to the Touch studios in Warwickshire to give a quick lesson in all things Twitter.
With eager students from 3 different radio stations it was great to feel the enthusiasm for the subject I'm so passionate about. I was particularly excited as Twitter is good for media and journalists so this was a great opportunity to open eyes to an untapped vein of news and information.
Not for the first time I talked of the idea that Twitter doesn't work for you but it's actually the other way around. In a room with competent tweeters, a new tweeter and even one who doesn't (but soon will) As usual the basics of Twitter were what really surprised the class.
It was great to give something back to the media world too. Local radio and television have been great over the last 13 months of Warwicktweetup and it's really made some of the amazing things that we have achieved happen. Twitter is so powerful that the media really are at it's mercy though and the McDonalds story of the failed hashtag was revelled in during class!
Great to teach such an enthusiatic team though and I look forward to seeing what they do with their new found Twitter knowledge. Not 'Power tweeting' more 'Intelligent tweeting'.
Thanks for having us Touch FM, it's always nice to really make a difference to a great team of people through our tweeting.
Check out Touch FM's great website here where you should see some of the support for our Portas Pilot campaign.
Leave a comment
Leave a Reply
More blog entries
- How we hit the first page of Google by blogging How can you get on the front page of Google without spending a fortune on Google Adwords? Well there's many different ways you can do this, but I'm a big fan of blogging
- 30 days and 30 nights of blogging We help businesses use blogging to gain website traffic and customers. We blog constantly and consistently, and you might say that blogging is a major part of our lives here at WTU
- How we hit the first page of Google by blogging
- Should you really be using Twitter if you don't understand it? when I landed on the company’s home page I was shocked to not only see profanity, but profanity aimed at them, via their own Twitter, at the top of their own website!
- How can independent shops thrive on the high street? Contrary to the media frenzy, there is a world of opportunity for the independent retailer to thrive and prosper in the future. By providing high levels of personal customer service and wide choice, shoppers can be encouraged to buy locally on the high street.
- WarwickTweetup's new direction gets a spring clean from The Usual Studio So it's all change at WarwickTweetup. A new direction and a new team. We're rolling with our digital marketing hats on and leaving the events and tweetups behind.
- Should you really be using Twitter if you don't understand it?
- How social media has changed my life - a guest post by @_Charl_Parker As Twitter just turned seven years old, I thought it would be an ideal time to pen a blog post that I’ve been wanting to write for a while about how social media has changed my life
- What if you haven't got time for Twitter? Social media is a powerful medium which is now a vital part of your business' online marketing strategy. Social media is free, it does cost something - time!
- How to be successful on Twitter without 1000s of followers Twitter is an incredible marketing tool as well as a great way for businesses to network B2B and B2C. It's live and fresh and perfect for driving sales to your website or business.
- How to write a blog for your business A blog is about writing quick creative copy to raise brand awareness.
- WarwickTweetup is changing WarwickTweetup is changing. Social media is my passion and I'm moving the power of Twitter forward onto new things...
- How social media has changed my life - a guest post by @_Charl_Parker
- Is Follow Friday #FFing dead? Follow Friday has been a Twitter tradition for many years, but lately has been far less prevalent on the twittersphere. Once a great hashtag trending highly on the waves of social networking, it's become more of an irritation to me lately.
- 11 reasons why Twitter is good for business We’re all told to use Twitter for business. We hear that it's the greatest marketing tool and if you're not tweeting about your business then it will surely die in months... But how true is it?
- Twitter Glossary Twitter is full of strange and shortened words, weird symbols and a secret language. Here's our dummies guide to Twitter's language barrier.
- SOCIAL media - the clue's in the title Recently I gained a new follower on Twitter so I checked it out (which I try to do for all new followers). I realised they were a marketing company boasting social media management for other companies...
- WarwickTweetup's blogging workshop We believe blogging is one of the main parts of your online persona and forms a major part of your website. Helping businesses to blog!
- Is Follow Friday #FFing dead?
- How to make sure you have an engaging Twitter bio Writing a good Twitter bio is essential to gaining new followers. We all make assumptions and try to assess a person when we first meet them, and Twitter is no exception...
- How to make sure you have an engaging Twitter bio
- New Year's Twesolution We all make new year's resolutions so I had a thought, why not make 2013 the year you harness the power of Twitter.
- A year of tweets - 2012 It's been an amazing year for WarwickTweetup. Here's our 2012, in a blog, it's been emotional!
- An acupuncture treatment with @MitaMistry I first met Mita briefly at a Tweetup a while ago, then more recently at the Big Free Twitter workshop, and then again at our first Leamington Twitter School. It was at Twitter School that I got to know Mita better.
- #LeamSwitchOn We were very pleased to be the official tweeters and Karen was also the official photographer for Leamington's switch on. All the photos here..
- New Year's Twesolution
- Warwick Rocks the coffee shops! Warwick Rocks the coffee shops! Buy local, pay tax to this country and maybe win a special edition mug!
- WTU welcome Charlee Sully from The Usual Studio aboard! We are very proud to announce our latest collaboration with designer Charlee Sully from The Usual Studio. Branding and digital design skill ahoy!
- Blogging for your business Blogging or blogger are terms you will no doubt have heard. A blog is simply a piece of writing posted online. Very much like an article in a newspaper or magazine, blogs can be factual, fictional, interesting, informative or educational; the outcome of this is entirely up to you.
- Tweetbot for iOS - WarwickTweetup's review Tweetbot for iOS is a superb iPhone and iPad app, so I thought I'd share the findings from my favourite Twitter tool.
- Let me Google that tweet for you! Money doesn't buy happiness and it doesn't always buy customers. I champion Twitter for business for many reasons, but one of the big reasons it's so powerful is the search capabilities
- Warwick Rocks the coffee shops!
- The Ten Twitter Commandments There's tonnes of blogs and tips, tricks and advice, experts and gurus on Twitter and in the wider universe. There's so much information about Twitter that it's very difficult to choose which direction you'll go in.
- To blog or not to blog - a guest post by @MitaMistry We love helping people tweet, and we love to inspire people, but we never expected to inspire a blogger to write again after a Twitter School workshop!
- Another 10 classic Twitter stereotypes Another 10 classic Twitter stereotypes. A comical look at the types of Twitter users.
- The stereotypes of a Twitter user A comical look at the classic types of Twitter user
- The Ten Twitter Commandments
- 17 things that don't belong on Twitter Here's 17 things that shouldn't be on Twitter, but they are and it annoyed me enough to blog about them!
- Warwick roadworks - Have your say! Plans to resurface the High street and Jury street have been released. When is the best time for traders?
- What is Twitter good for anyway? A guest blog from @sewsmith on the power of Twitter and the community behind it.
- 8 reasons why you're not being followed on Twitter We all want more followers right? So we all want to know how to get more. Well, here's a few things I've learned
- 17 things that don't belong on Twitter
- Should you really be on Twitter? regular readers of this blog will be picking their jaw up off the floor at that question - but there's a very good reason for it.
- Why do we need to use social media? Why Bother with Social Media? I'm sure this is a question we've all asked, and I'm sure if you use social media you get asked it too. So I thought I'd try and answer it.
- It's not the winning, it's the taking part that counts. Don't just sign up to social media and expect it to work for you. Twitter is free, but is does cost time.
- WNAA Shop opens in Warwick The WNAA are our nominated charity, and they're now in our town too! #WarwickRocks
- An interesting week A week in the life of Todd @Warwicktweetup
- Should you really be on Twitter?
- 9 things you should be doing on Twitter and 9 you shouldn't be. There's so much you can do with your Twitter and there's so much you really should avoid. So, to save me shouting at my timeline, here's my list of dos and don'ts:
- Use my mobile to make calls? According a the poll the average person spends 24.49 minutes browsing the web, 17.29 minutes on social media, 15.38 minutes listening to music, 14.26 minutes playing games but only 12.06 minutes actually making phone calls
- Feel the fear A very honest blog from @onsmithst a converted Twitter user.
- 9 things you should be doing on Twitter and 9 you shouldn't be.
- 10 things I hate about you(r Twitter) If you're doing one of these, I don't hate you, I just scream a little inside when I read them!
- Twitter School for beginners June 12th. Our first beginners class at the Warwick Arms. Teaching brand new tweeters the benefits of tweeting for business and brand awareness. Set up from scratch for a few of the students too!
- Why you need a proofreader A blog on proofreading from our very own proofreader, Jo Ciriani. "Why you need a proofreader"
- 13 mistakes you're making on Twitter I always notice obvious mistakes and thought I'd share a few of them with you. The following are simple but often large failings in your tweeting.
- Too good for Mary Portas? So we didn't win. But Warwick put on a fine show, and it was driven by Twitter and blogging, which is pretty incredible! But sadly there's no cash, no Mary Portas, and no Government backing... So it was a waste of three months then? !
- Warwick Rocks - Warwickshire life article We are very pleased to have written TWICE for Warwickshire Life. Here's the latest in the Warwickshire glossy!
- 10 things I hate about you(r Twitter)
- The numbers game... I've blogged in the past about followers and numbers of followers. It's always something people ask me when I say I'm on Twitter: 'How many followers have you got?'
- WNAA Heroes Run 2012 - Warwick Castle. On May 13th WarwickTweetup joined 100's of others in a fun run around Warwick Castle
- WarwickTweetup run in the Heroes run for WNAA Air Ambulance For the second year we got a team together for the WNAA Heroes run. This Year at Warwick Castle
- The numbers game...
- #WorldBookWarwick - A Tweetup WarwickTweetup try to write a Twitter book with help from James Viniciguerra at the new Warwick library
- I'm on Twitter .....don't judge me By now, most people have heard of Twitter. The social machine is gathering speed and new users, 140 characters at a time. It's massive; it's shaping the media, businesses, and in many ways the world we live in. But - and it's a big but - it's also shunned and hated.
- Twitter School at TouchFM We popped into TouchFM to give a private twitter school to the team from Touch FM, Rugby FM and Banbury FM.
- You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it tweet Until you 'get' Twitter it can seem like an uphill struggle. Luckily WTU are here to help.
- Social Media -The next best thing to an apocalypse Gone are the days when you could simply “not be on facebook” or “not get twitter”. If people don’t have those options any more, businesses certainly don’t.
- #WorldBookWarwick - A Tweetup
- Warwicktweetup at the Warwick Arms March 2012 Our first tweetup of 2012 held at the fabulous Warwick Arms in Warwick.
- #WarwickRocks The #WarwickRocks phenomenon is sweeping through Warwick. The Portas Pilots support is popping up in windows all over town...
- The Power of Social Media, yes it really is powerful. Recently Warwicktweetup has been rather busy using its unique connections in Warwick to mobilise the community. A Portas Pilot has been launched and we're at the head of it.
- Warwicktweetup at the Warwick Arms March 2012
- Twitter School Feb 2012 Our first Twitter School was deemed a great success. More to come very soon.
- Twitter School Feb 2012
- 21 signs that you are addicted to Twitter 21 signs you're addicted to Twitter. A comical blog on the habits of a tweeter.
- Twitter school #WTUSchool A common and re-occurring fault in social media, and certainly twitter, is giving the tweeting or Facebook page to someone who looks after that sort of stuff. Twitter School from WTU aims to change this.
- The power of an Avatar- Why you should show your face. Why your Avatar is so important. Firstly let's lose the tech jargon, an avatar is an online presence, a picture of you online. A profile picture if you like. On twitter, certainly if you're a business, it's very important to get the avatar right.
- A year of tweets 2011 has been an amazing year, and thanks to Twitter some incredible things have happened. Here's Todd's story of 2011 on Twitter.
- 11 reasons why Twitter is better than Facebook 2011 was a great year for Twitter, it beat Facebook to many milestones. When you consider that Facebook is 800million users strong compared to only 300million on Twitter that's quite an achievement. But why is its popularity growing so fast and why is it, in many minds, better than the social media Goliath that is Facebook?
- 21 signs that you are addicted to Twitter
- The first steps of a fledgling tweeter A comical look at the rocky road of early tweeting.
- Twitter Integration Guest blog from Craig Thornton. A great advantage of iOS5 update for Twitter users.
- What is Warwick TweetUp? Read how Warwick TweetUp came into being and has grown
- Follow Friday Todds #ffmission Follow Friday, a Friday tradition on Twitter. Used correctly can be more than just spam on a feed.
- It's a social world A guest blog on Facebook by Stuart Maun from Maun Consulting
- The first steps of a fledgling tweeter
- 5 handy hints for Twitter beginners Warwicktweetups 5 handy hints to help you Tweet like a pro.
- Daniel Browne Therapy guest blog An interesting view of how Warwicktweetup has helped a new tweeter and business in Warwickshire.
- Warwicktweetup take to the skies Warwicktweetup go flying with @CaptainCraigos on a Sunday morning flight over Warwick.
- In at the deep end A guest blog by Jack Linstead. Our excellent efforts as a Warwicktweetup swim team at the annual Soroptimist Swimathon and also a little piece on why Warwicktweetup has become so popular.
- Seven tricks of the Twitter trade Seven Top Twitter Tips to help you out with your social media journey
- Warwick TweetUp #4 Feedback Warwick TweetUp #4 was a great success, do you agree?
- 5 handy hints for Twitter beginners
- What is Warwicktweetup What is Warwicktweetup?
- What is Warwicktweetup
- Heroes Run Warwicktweetup are the BIGGEST team! We did it! #Warwicktweetup gathered the BIGGEST team at the Air Ambulance Heroes run.
- Heroes Run Warwicktweetup are the BIGGEST team!
- #WTUQuiz #Warwicktweetup 2. The Quiz
- Membership has it's benefits! Membership to WarwickTweetUp isn't just an Avatar and a blog link...it's a wealth of back scratching!!
- Warwicktweetup 2.....? After the success of the first Warwicktweetup pressure is building for a sequel....not being ones to disappoint, we're planning another
- How did we do? The Morning after the night before....
- The Warwicktweetup blog...How posh! Lord Todds first play. Guided by Guy Eastwood of @Surefyre fame.
- It's been emotional! Round up of state of play prior to inaugural TweetUp on 7th March
- Guest list for 7th March 2011 The official guest list for the inaugural Warwick TweetUp on March 7th 2011