Feel the fear.
Blog by Paul the Barber of Warwick.
Ever heard of the book by Dr. Susan Jeffers called "Feel The fear And Do It anyway”? It’s a good read for a self help book and a huge seller - I recommend it.
Feel the fear and do it anyway is what I would like all the business owners and managers in Warwick to do with Twitter. Go on, have a go guys!
What’s the worst that could happen?
I know many people are skeptical - I was once, but what a revelation! If used properly, Twitter can be very powerful for the good of our town. We can promote, break news, keep businesses up-to-date and, more importantly, help one another.
Here’s what I did:
Once I worked out the basics of tweeting, I decided to tweet about my location, Smith Street in Warwick, along with the shops and other services that are on offer. I mix this up with bits of useless information about our town’s history! My account is @OnSmithSt
It appears to be working quite well in terms of profile of the street, but the difference in positivity has been huge. Our trader's meetings have never been better attended, and the optimism for the future is very good. The owners of businesses now know that I’m attempting to tweet on their behalf. Sometimes they come forward with the news, other times I have to walk up and down the street to ask them for their story or offer. It’s OK doing that, but it’s time consuming and I, like them, have to earn a crust. Sooner or later everyone has to help themselves... right?!
The Warwick community has a large number of tweeters, but I would like to see more business owners tweeting. Business owners can’t sit back and hope that someone does something on our behalf - we’ve got to help ourselves.
So here’s the challenge:
If you know a shop or a business in Warwick that isn’t on Twitter or perhaps has an account but doesn’t use it, tell them to “feel the fear and do it anyway”. Tell them of the benefits. The one they’ll like most is that IT'S FREE. We need to shout about our skills, offers, products and personalities; after all it’s the people that make the community as well as the shops. Even if we can only tweet once or twice a week, it will be the start of something so much bigger.
Thanks to Paul the Barber of Warwick for this frank and honest blog. Come on Warwick... Join the Twitter brigade!
We run monthly Twitter schools for those who don't get Twitter. We'd be happy to run a special session to get Warwick businesses tweeting if there is sufficient demand. We agree with Paul, it's a revelation and it's FREE... you'd be mad not to tweet!
Leave a comment
Leave a Reply
Put your bloggyness here!
More blog entries
- 2013 - the year that changed me! Well, what a year. It certainly could’ve been unlucky for me! 2013 was a very eventful year, and if you’ve followed me on social media you’ll perhaps know what I mean.
- 2013 - the year that changed me!
- Is Twitter for business a full-time job? | Twitter management Twitter is still an incredible force in the social media world, and Twitter training is still our most popular service. But many of our attendees are left concerned that Twitter is very involving
- Why businesses need to understand social media and their employees Understanding that people use social media is important, but engaging and watching should be high on a business’s agenda.
- How to write a business blog Blogging is by far the biggest driver of traffic to our website, and by far the best tool for developing our online presence and increasing our SEO.
- Social media training and hot potatoes | Twitter School Today we gave potentially our last ever Twitter school. The popular Twitter training workshops have been running since January 2012,
- I don’t like your favourites on Twitter I have a bee in my bonnet about favourites on Twitter. It’s the way people use them, and I’m not saying they use them incorrectly; just that they don’t understand how they work
- Is Twitter for business a full-time job? | Twitter management
- Art, pandas, penguins, washing machines, plumbers and everything in between We were excited to be asked to present an interactive seminar on social and digital marketing for organisers of Open Studio art events from all over the UK.
- Art, pandas, penguins, washing machines, plumbers and everything in between
- #EdgeBham - on the edge and the future of digital marketing Businesses everywhere are scrambling to keep up with the ever-changing digital world. Here's our thoughts from #EdgeBham
- The story of a blogger and a proofreader At WarwickTweetup we’re often asked, ‘what's blogging?’ ‘What's a proofreader?’ And ‘why do I need to blog’?
- How do you attract customers with a limited marketing budget? a few cheeky sunny updates this week, along with the usual social media, blogging and sarcastic updates. I've moved office, just for a week, to come and work in Lanzarote
- An open letter to Mary Portas An open letter to Mary Portas | Portas Pilots
- If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you hire an amateur! Last week we researched some possible competitors in the social media management market. We looked around some companies and agencies who offer Twitter and Facebook outsourcing only to find a rather worrying trend.
- #EdgeBham - on the edge and the future of digital marketing
- 50 things I've learnt about Twitter that you should know I have had great success, but I have also learnt that Twitter is not somewhere you sell, rather advise, help and gently promote. When all these things are achieved and targeted at the right time and place, sales will be a natural consequence.
- Why social media is not the Big Mac and Fries of marketing We know from our own experience that social media is a great tool for increasing awareness, driving traffic to your website, and ultimately promoting sales for your business. The problem is, in our instant age, some people want it all... Now! Social media works, but like all good things, it comes to those who wait.
- 50 things I've learnt about Twitter that you should know
- The most important part of a blog post We train businesses on how to make the best of social media, and many people ask me what the most important thing is for Twitter, Facebook, and more recently blogging.
- Oh what a night! WarwickTweetup at the Pride of Warwick District awards We were over the moon to be nominated twice at the prestigious Pride of Warwick District awards, hosted by Touch FM. Touch FM have been a constant theme throughout WarwickTweetup’s rise to fame.
- If you tweet in a forest and no one is around to see it, does it make a sound? I’m often asked “how often should I tweet?” and the answer is usually “more than you already are”. The fact is, the internet is a very busy place and people are all shouting for attention.
- The most important part of a blog post
- Why your website is like a newborn baby We deal with many aspects of online marketing, from Twitter to Facebook, blogging to SEO, and website pages to proofreading. We work closely with many clients on their website copy and social media campaigns.
- What really works well for businesses on Twitter? Twitter in particular has proven to be a great tool for any business to market themselves effectively online. But with all the tips, tricks, blogs and advice, how do you know what really works?
- How Google works - explained by penguins, pandas and meerkats To be in front of the eyes of your potential customers, your website needs to be fresh, content-rich and written with quality and Search Engine Optimisation in mind.
- Why your website is like a newborn baby
- How we hit the first page of Google by blogging How can you get on the front page of Google without spending a fortune on Google Adwords? Well there's many different ways you can do this, but I'm a big fan of blogging
- 30 days and 30 nights of blogging We help businesses use blogging to gain website traffic and customers. We blog constantly and consistently, and you might say that blogging is a major part of our lives here at WTU
- How we hit the first page of Google by blogging
- Should you really be using Twitter if you don't understand it? when I landed on the company’s home page I was shocked to not only see profanity, but profanity aimed at them, via their own Twitter, at the top of their own website!
- How can independent shops thrive on the high street? Contrary to the media frenzy, there is a world of opportunity for the independent retailer to thrive and prosper in the future. By providing high levels of personal customer service and wide choice, shoppers can be encouraged to buy locally on the high street.
- WarwickTweetup's new direction gets a spring clean from The Usual Studio So it's all change at WarwickTweetup. A new direction and a new team. We're rolling with our digital marketing hats on and leaving the events and tweetups behind.
- Should you really be using Twitter if you don't understand it?
- How social media has changed my life - a guest post by @_Charl_Parker As Twitter just turned seven years old, I thought it would be an ideal time to pen a blog post that I’ve been wanting to write for a while about how social media has changed my life
- What if you haven't got time for Twitter? Social media is a powerful medium which is now a vital part of your business' online marketing strategy. Social media is free, it does cost something - time!
- How to be successful on Twitter without 1000s of followers Twitter is an incredible marketing tool as well as a great way for businesses to network B2B and B2C. It's live and fresh and perfect for driving sales to your website or business.
- How to write a blog for your business A blog is about writing quick creative copy to raise brand awareness.
- WarwickTweetup is changing WarwickTweetup is changing. Social media is my passion and I'm moving the power of Twitter forward onto new things...
- How social media has changed my life - a guest post by @_Charl_Parker
- Is Follow Friday #FFing dead? Follow Friday has been a Twitter tradition for many years, but lately has been far less prevalent on the twittersphere. Once a great hashtag trending highly on the waves of social networking, it's become more of an irritation to me lately.
- 11 reasons why Twitter is good for business We’re all told to use Twitter for business. We hear that it's the greatest marketing tool and if you're not tweeting about your business then it will surely die in months... But how true is it?
- Twitter Glossary Twitter is full of strange and shortened words, weird symbols and a secret language. Here's our dummies guide to Twitter's language barrier.
- SOCIAL media - the clue's in the title Recently I gained a new follower on Twitter so I checked it out (which I try to do for all new followers). I realised they were a marketing company boasting social media management for other companies...
- WarwickTweetup's blogging workshop We believe blogging is one of the main parts of your online persona and forms a major part of your website. Helping businesses to blog!
- Is Follow Friday #FFing dead?
- How to write a good Twitter bio Writing a good Twitter bio is essential to gaining new followers. Here are some top tips on creating a winning formula | Twitter Tips
- How to write a good Twitter bio
- New Year's Twesolution We all make new year's resolutions so I had a thought, why not make 2013 the year you harness the power of Twitter.
- A year of tweets - 2012 It's been an amazing year for WarwickTweetup. Here's our 2012, in a blog, it's been emotional!
- An acupuncture treatment with @MitaMistry I first met Mita briefly at a Tweetup a while ago, then more recently at the Big Free Twitter workshop, and then again at our first Leamington Twitter School. It was at Twitter School that I got to know Mita better.
- New Year's Twesolution
- Warwick Rocks the coffee shops! Warwick Rocks the coffee shops! Buy local, pay tax to this country and maybe win a special edition mug!
- WTU welcome Charlee Sully from The Usual Studio aboard! We are very proud to announce our latest collaboration with designer Charlee Sully from The Usual Studio. Branding and digital design skill ahoy!
- Blogging for your business Blogging or blogger are terms you will no doubt have heard. A blog is simply a piece of writing posted online. Very much like an article in a newspaper or magazine, blogs can be factual, fictional, interesting, informative or educational; the outcome of this is entirely up to you.
- Tweetbot for iOS - WarwickTweetup's review Tweetbot for iOS is a superb iPhone and iPad app, so I thought I'd share the findings from my favourite Twitter tool.
- Let me Google that tweet for you! Money doesn't buy happiness and it doesn't always buy customers. I champion Twitter for business for many reasons, but one of the big reasons it's so powerful is the search capabilities
- Warwick Rocks the coffee shops!
- The Ten Twitter Commandments There's tonnes of blogs and tips, tricks and advice, experts and gurus on Twitter and in the wider universe. There's so much information about Twitter that it's very difficult to choose which direction you'll go in.
- To blog or not to blog - a guest post by @MitaMistry We love helping people tweet, and we love to inspire people, but we never expected to inspire a blogger to write again after a Twitter School workshop!
- Another 10 classic Twitter stereotypes Another 10 classic Twitter stereotypes. A comical look at the types of Twitter users.
- The stereotypes of a Twitter user A comical look at the classic types of Twitter user
- The Ten Twitter Commandments
- 17 things that don't belong on Twitter Here's 17 things that shouldn't be on Twitter, but they are and it annoyed me enough to blog about them!
- What is Twitter good for anyway? A guest blog from @sewsmith on the power of Twitter and the community behind it.
- 8 reasons why you're not being followed on Twitter We all want more followers right? So we all want to know how to get more. Well, here's a few things I've learned
- 17 things that don't belong on Twitter
- Should you really be on Twitter? regular readers of this blog will be picking their jaw up off the floor at that question - but there's a very good reason for it.
- Why do we need to use social media? Why Bother with Social Media? I'm sure this is a question we've all asked, and I'm sure if you use social media you get asked it too. So I thought I'd try and answer it.
- It's not the winning, it's the taking part that counts. Don't just sign up to social media and expect it to work for you. Twitter is free, but is does cost time.
- WNAA Shop opens in Warwick The WNAA are our nominated charity, and they're now in our town too! #WarwickRocks
- An interesting week A week in the life of Todd @Warwicktweetup
- Should you really be on Twitter?
- 9 things you should be doing on Twitter and 9 you shouldn't be. There's so much you can do with your Twitter and there's so much you really should avoid. So, to save me shouting at my timeline, here's my list of dos and don'ts:
- Use my mobile to make calls? According a the poll the average person spends 24.49 minutes browsing the web, 17.29 minutes on social media, 15.38 minutes listening to music, 14.26 minutes playing games but only 12.06 minutes actually making phone calls
- Feel the fear A very honest blog from @onsmithst a converted Twitter user.
- 9 things you should be doing on Twitter and 9 you shouldn't be.
- 10 things I hate about you(r Twitter) If you're doing one of these, I don't hate you, I just scream a little inside when I read them!
- Twitter School for beginners June 12th. Our first beginners class at the Warwick Arms. Teaching brand new tweeters the benefits of tweeting for business and brand awareness. Set up from scratch for a few of the students too!
- Why you need a proofreader We would like to explain why you need to proofread your written work - written by our resident proofreader from Jo's Correctional Facility
- 13 mistakes you're making on Twitter I always notice obvious mistakes and thought I'd share a few of them with you. The following are simple but often large failings in your tweeting.
- Too good for Mary Portas? So we didn't win. But Warwick put on a fine show, and it was driven by Twitter and blogging, which is pretty incredible! But sadly there's no cash, no Mary Portas, and no Government backing... So it was a waste of three months then? !
- Warwick Rocks - Warwickshire life article We are very pleased to have written TWICE for Warwickshire Life. Here's the latest in the Warwickshire glossy!
- 10 things I hate about you(r Twitter)
- The numbers game... I've blogged in the past about followers and numbers of followers. It's always something people ask me when I say I'm on Twitter: 'How many followers have you got?'
- WNAA Heroes Run 2012 - Warwick Castle. On May 13th WarwickTweetup joined 100's of others in a fun run around Warwick Castle
- WarwickTweetup run in the Heroes run for WNAA Air Ambulance For the second year we got a team together for the WNAA Heroes run. This Year at Warwick Castle
- The numbers game...
- #WorldBookWarwick - A Tweetup WarwickTweetup try to write a Twitter book with help from James Viniciguerra at the new Warwick library
- I'm on Twitter .....don't judge me By now, most people have heard of Twitter. The social machine is gathering speed and new users, 140 characters at a time. It's massive; it's shaping the media, businesses, and in many ways the world we live in. But - and it's a big but - it's also shunned and hated.
- Twitter School at TouchFM We popped into TouchFM to give a private twitter school to the team from Touch FM, Rugby FM and Banbury FM.
- You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it tweet Until you 'get' Twitter it can seem like an uphill struggle. Luckily WTU are here to help.
- #WorldBookWarwick - A Tweetup
- Warwicktweetup at the Warwick Arms March 2012 Our first tweetup of 2012 held at the fabulous Warwick Arms in Warwick.
- #WarwickRocks The #WarwickRocks phenomenon is sweeping through Warwick. The Portas Pilots support is popping up in windows all over town...
- The Power of Social Media, yes it really is powerful. Recently Warwicktweetup has been rather busy using its unique connections in Warwick to mobilise the community. A Portas Pilot has been launched and we're at the head of it.
- Warwicktweetup at the Warwick Arms March 2012
- 21 signs that you are addicted to Twitter 21 signs you're addicted to Twitter. A comical blog on the habits of a tweeter.
- Twitter school #WTUSchool A common and re-occurring fault in social media, and certainly twitter, is giving the tweeting or Facebook page to someone who looks after that sort of stuff. Twitter School from WTU aims to change this.
- The power of an Avatar- Why you should show your face. Why your Avatar is so important. Firstly let's lose the tech jargon, an avatar is an online presence, a picture of you online. A profile picture if you like. On twitter, certainly if you're a business, it's very important to get the avatar right.
- A year of tweets 2011 has been an amazing year, and thanks to Twitter some incredible things have happened. Here's Todd's story of 2011 on Twitter.
- 11 reasons why Twitter is better than Facebook 2011 was a great year for Twitter, it beat Facebook to many milestones. When you consider that Facebook is 800million users strong compared to only 300million on Twitter that's quite an achievement. But why is its popularity growing so fast and why is it, in many minds, better than the social media Goliath that is Facebook?
- 21 signs that you are addicted to Twitter
- 5 handy hints for Twitter beginners Warwicktweetups 5 handy hints to help you Tweet like a pro.
- Daniel Browne Therapy guest blog An interesting view of how Warwicktweetup has helped a new tweeter and business in Warwickshire.
- In at the deep end A guest blog by Jack Linstead. Our excellent efforts as a Warwicktweetup swim team at the annual Soroptimist Swimathon and also a little piece on why Warwicktweetup has become so popular.
- Seven tricks of the Twitter trade Seven Top Twitter Tips to help you out with your social media journey
- Warwick TweetUp #4 Feedback Warwick TweetUp #4 was a great success, do you agree?
- 5 handy hints for Twitter beginners